On September 25, 2009, Rassie was diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. His symptoms: Swollen Feet and bruising. We never exepected a diagnoses of Leukemia. The Doctors and we ourselves, are very optimistic about the treatments available. We know that we have a long road ahead of us and we hope that you will support us on our journey to recovery.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Coming up on 6

Rassie is coming up on the 6 month mark since he started his Gleevec.  All I can say is 'WOW'.  These last 5 months have really flown.  Of course its been a little longer than that since we found out Rassie had leukemia and was diagnosed with CML.  September 25, 2009 will be forever etched in our minds.

I remember it like it was yesterday.  It was a beautiful day outside. The bright sun, the warm air.  Just beautiful.  Rassie went in for a routine appointment that morning and it turned into labs and stat CT scan set for later that day.   We were waiting for the results of the labs to see if Rassie had to be admitted to the hospital through the ER.  We weren't sure why at this point. 

I remember Rassie getting ready to head out the door for his CT scan when my cell phone rang and it was Dr. R.  She told me Rassie's white count was extremely high and he needed to skip the CT scan and go ahead to the ER to be admitted.  I asked about the high white count being an infection and Dr. R told me "No" . With counts this high it was something more serious but we would have to wait until we got to the hospital to find out.

Rassie went ahead of me while I waited for my little brother and then my mom to get here and watch the kids. I wasn't 10 minutes behind him.  But in that short time Dr. R had already been in and given the diagnoses.  When I arrived she came back in and gave it all over again.  I remember hugging and crying with Rassie after she left the room. 

There were so many questions and not enough answers.  Dr. R was only a resident and wasn't allowed to give us the answers we wanted. We had to wait an ENTIRE night before we finally got to speak with the staff oncologist.  As scary as leukemia sounded, Dr. H eased my fears and gave me great hope that things would be ok. 

The few days Rassie spent in the hospital getting his white blood count under control felt like a lifetime.  His counts were dropping and that was great. The doctors kept saying he would get to go home in a few days. The nurses kept saying he would be there a while with counts that high. Rassie's count started at 358,000 and normal count ranged from 4,000 - 10,000.  I prayed everyday that God would bring Rassie home to the kids and I. And He did.  God is good.

Rassie has been very Blessed with how his body has handled the Gleevec.  After all, it is chemo.  It just comes in the form of a pill.  Thank you God for keeping my love strong through it all.

God Bless

15 comments:

Annie - Steven's mom said...

Hi Amber
These memories bring both tears and joy...... those very scary days live right under my skin and now, looking back - we can be relieved and happy again. Phew!
You have had a very very full 6 months..... may the next 6 be a LOT easier.
Love and light and laughter
Annie

Sara said...

You have handled these past six months with such grace. I know it can't be easy with two little ones and all the complications that Rassie's accident added. I think of you and pray for you often that things continue in the direction they are going. Stay strong!! We serve an amazing God who is doing great things for you guys!

jennifer@givinganon.org said...

Hello Amber,

We pray God's blessing on you and your beautiful family, for He is only good and has the best intentions for you. We want you to know that there is a wonderful friend out there who reads and is encouraged by your blog. That friend has made out a financial gift for you through our organization, Giving Anonymously, to help Rassie get one step closer to a new bike. Please check your email, all the info is there. Kindest regards, Jen-volunteer

Holly said...

Can't believe it's been 6 months! Rassie has been doing so well on the Gleevac. Praise God!

Shelly said...

I just came across your blog. We are about 6 months ahead of you, my husband was diagnosed with CML on March 20, 2009. He just had his 3rd bone marrow biopsy last week-trying to wait patiently for the results! Just wanted to say "hi" and I hope everything is going well! Here's my blog if you want to read a little of our story. codyshelly.blogspot.com
Shelly

drvidyasagar said...

Vidyasagar Hospital in Kadapa

Shri Sigma Hospitals said...

Dermatology Hospital in Madhapur

Shri Sigma Hospitals said...

Cardiologist in Madhpur

Shri Sigma Hospitals said...

 ENT Doctor in Madhapur

Shri Sigma Hospitals said...

 Best Orthopedic Surgeon in Banjara Hills

Shri Sigma Hospitals said...

Urologist in Madhapur

Shri Sigma Hospitals said...

Best Surgical Oncologist in Madhapur

Shri Sigma Hospitals said...

Shri Sigma Hospitals

Shri Sigma Hospitals said...

Multispeciality Hospital in Hyderabad

Shri Sigma Hospitals said...

Best Hospital in Madhapur