On September 25, 2009, Rassie was diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. His symptoms: Swollen Feet and bruising. We never exepected a diagnoses of Leukemia. The Doctors and we ourselves, are very optimistic about the treatments available. We know that we have a long road ahead of us and we hope that you will support us on our journey to recovery.

Friday, October 30, 2009

A Few Hours Get Away

What a busy few days. An oncologist came by Rassie's room yesterday and his Fellow (resident type doctor) came by today.  He says he does not see any reason to prolong trying to get Rassie on the Gleevec.  Another doctor had initially mentioned waiting until the whole rehab problem was over with.  I also talked to a case manager for the oncology department. I have to get our insurance card to her so she can make a copy front and back. Not sure what happened to the first copy.  They are going to try getting Gleevec approved through our insurance company again.  *fingers, eyes and toes crossed* and of course lots of praying that it goes through this time!  The doctor that stopped by said that Rassie has the 926 strain of CML.  I am going to have to double check that number because I can't remember for sure.  He also said that they were definite on it being CML and really the only reason for a bone marrow biopsy now is for completion of diagnosis in his charts.   I know Rassie does not really want to do the biopsy but it's just one of those things he has to do.

On to the few hours get away! The physical therapists had Rassie call me at noon today. They wanted me to be there at 1 for his PT time.  Bad news! Both babies were down for a nap and there was no way I was waking both of them.  But they said that was fine and so I have to be there at 9 in the morning.  What they really want is my car! They are going to see how Rassie transitions from the wheel chair to the car and back again. If the transition goes well they are going to talk with the doctor about getting a pass to come home for a few hours on Sunday.   YAY!  We have a Dodge Journey that I drive.  For those of you who don't know its a cross over between a SUV and a Mini Van.  At least that's what I am told.  Rassie and I both agree it might be too high to transition so we are going with the PT Cruiser instead.  It should be a perfect height and make the transition alot easier, plus it still has tons of room. Now all I have to do is switch out the carseats.   I am so excited and hope the transition goes well!

Oh, and there's more progress.  Rassie walked the entire length of the parallel bars yesterday. I forgot to ask about today because we went to a little (lobby) Halloween Party and outside for a bit.  I have also noticed when I help him move his legs that he is using them more on his own.  I can tell that he's putting weight on his left leg and that he is trying to lift his right leg more by himself.  I told him that I had noticed this and that I am so very proud of him for working so hard at it. 

Slow progress is still PROGRESS and that's what counts.

4 comments:

Annie - Steven's mom said...

Hi Amber

I am going to keep my fingers and toes crossed for the Gleevec approval......it seems crazy that they would/could even think of denying it.

Also going to send lots and lots of positive vibes and thoughts for a smooth and easy bone marrow biopsy.

I think of you guys so often and if you feel those little things landing on your shoulders - tis all those good wishes landing :)

love and light
Annie

Holly said...

I hope the insurance goes through for the Gleevac. I'm crossing too! ;)

Dr Vinay Ortho said...

Orthopedic Doctor Near Me

Dr Vinay Ortho said...


Shoulder Surgeon in ECIL