On September 25, 2009, Rassie was diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. His symptoms: Swollen Feet and bruising. We never exepected a diagnoses of Leukemia. The Doctors and we ourselves, are very optimistic about the treatments available. We know that we have a long road ahead of us and we hope that you will support us on our journey to recovery.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

There's Hope for the Insurance Yet!

I don't know if you all remember, but when Rassie was diagnosed with CML not too long ago they ran our insurance and Gleevec was denied.  I kept thinking that our insurance denied it because they considered Rassie's CML a pre-existing condition. But why wouldn't they?  He had just started a new job. The insurance had just kicked in. Then Rassie uses the insurance for the first time and BAM he has leukemia.  I guess if I were the insurance company I would have been a little skeptical also.  Today, Kevin, the oncology case manager contacted our insurance company again to get things worked out.  And what do you know, the insurance originally denied Gleevec because they did think that the CML was pre-existing.  This is somewhat of a relief. Now we can try for the Gleevec again.  As of yet, we haven't heard back from the insurance to know if the Gleevec has been approved or denied.   I am definitely going to be praying for good news.   If approved, we still might face more obstacles like a high copay.  Kevin said if the copay is high then we will not go for the insurance right away.  Instead we will try to get involved with different Foundations to help pay for it instead.   A copay for Gleevec could run up to $1,000 per month.  Yes, it's that expensive apparently. So, say an extra prayer for us tonight that all goes well with approval and a low copay.

On another note, the rehab team for Rassie's worker's comp case had an evaluation meeting today.  Unfortunately we didn't get to talk with the doctors so we don't know exactly what the plans are.  The nurse did look at the chart though and said it is written down that he may get to come home this Friday.  How exciting is that?   They did another ct scan yesterday.  The knot and bruising on his lower back is still there.  They had anticipated it would have started to go away by now but that's just not the case.  It is a hemotoma (sp?).  Or a pool of blood.  They are still hopefull it will go away on its own.  Early on they had talked about draining it but its really not possible because the blood is pooled up in tissue and such, its not just a pool of liquid.  Other than that, everything seems to be moving in the right direction.  The PT team helped to stablize him again today so that he could use the walker.  Rassie did mention that the team helped less today, so that's even more imporvement.  I was hoping to have an estimate on when they think he will be out of the wheel chair and using the walker but I didn't get my question answered. I visit in the afternoons and late evenings and by then the doctors have already made their rounds.  And for some reason Rassie never asks!  But I will be patient. Hopefully he remembers to ask all my questions for me tomorrow :)

 Good Night and God Bless

4 comments:

Annie - Steven's mom said...

Hi Amber

Holding thumbs for a good insurance decision as well as a low low low co-pay! Also for a Friday homecoming and good everything on that side of things.

You really are dealing with multiple issues......hang in there.

love and light
Annie
ps - my 'verification word' for this comment is "tortur"! I am sure it must be that for you while waiting for Rassie to come home.

Amber said...

Annie,
Thanks for your kind words and support. Sorry your word was "tortur" I don't think anyone likes that word! I'm hanging in there. Thankfully I get to see Rassie everyday. :)
Amber

MommyIvy said...

I'm glad things are looking up. You are a strong woman. I will pray that everything is approved. It it isnt I will start a fundraiser for you.

allison said...

my thoughts are with you and your family, its such a shame when the insurance company's feel they have the right to play, god, im not sure where you live, but when i was searching for information for my website, i did see a lot of foundations that do help with the cost. please let me know if we at cancercloud.org can be of any help.
Allison